Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bo Diddley, Bo Diddley

Bo Diddley had a stroke recently, but there is good news. AP reports:

Four days after suffering a stroke, Bo Diddley walked around the intensive-care unit at Creighton University Medical Center, and doctors were encouraged that the singer-songwriter-guitarist would be able to perform again, his manager said.


In the spirit of wishing him a full recovery, let's all enjoy this YouTube burgoo, which, clocking in at under 2 minutes, is almost a punk number. It's one of my favorite Bo Diddley songs.



Bo Diddley - You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover (1965)


I saw Bo Diddley play in Grant Park at the Chicago Blues Fest in 1986, and it was one of the most exciting performances I've ever witnessed. Chuck Berry and Keith Richards headlined that night, but Bo killed em. Killed. Definitely the best large-venue set I've ever spaz-bopped thru. Courtesy of Mayor Harold Washington, yes. The late and great.

More Diddley, becuz it don't cost nothin':



Bo Diddley (Checker 45) - Road Runner



Bo Diddley - Hey, Bo Diddley and Bo Diddley

And, for a chaser, here's some early Moody Blues, in maximum non-"Ride My See Saw" mode:


The Moody Blues - Bo Diddley

And here they are, just for fun, in maximum "Ride My See Saw" mode:


The Moody Blues - Ride My See Saw

And ... for a total swerve, here's a Bongwater tune from the same EP on which they covered "Ride My See Saw" ...



Bongwater - U.S.O.

No comments: