Thursday, April 19, 2007

There's still time to fit in a last-second flashback

Today is Bicycle Day -- anniversary of the first intentional LSD trip, taken by Albert Hofmann in 1943.

Yup.

No guff.

If I'm lyin', I'm buyin'. Hell, I'll buy anyway. Just point me in the direction of the nearest parking lot of a Grateful Dead show. Or whatever unreasonable facsimile thereof that is available.

I'm not dropping any acid ... those days of my misspent youth are long, long past. But I would enjoy watching YOUR little mind melt. Heh heh.

Remember, grasshopper, the secret of a happy LSD experience is "set and setting."

Here's how that goes. You dropped acid, and then you set, and now you're setting. When you wake up tomorrow with sore joints and a tight jaw, and probably suffering from mild to moderate depression resulting from Vitamin B deficiency (I made that side effect up, but it sounds plausible, doesn't it?), you will have set. If you take two tabs, we might find room for the present pluperfect tense, subjunctive mood.

OK. I was considering writing about some of my own personal experiences with Dr. Hofmann's problem child, but today was a print deadline day at my actual job, and ... you know how that excuse goes.

Maybe later tonight, I'll catch a second wind. I have a pretty good story about why sex and LSD don't go together as well as one might hope. There's a teaser for youse.

No comments: