Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Your feelings may tell you you're unhappy, but they're wrong! Old man!

http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2006/happiness.htm

[Some crazy-ass study sez] both young people and older people think that young people are happier than older people — when in fact research has shown the opposite.

Am I happier now or was I happier then? Wrong! Survey says: Happier now! Regardless of what bullshit my stupid mood and affect spew! This is good news. I had no idea how goddamn much my life had improved with age and baldness.

OK ...

(EDITOR'S NOTE: I know I'm misreading and misconstruing the press release, but it helps my humorous premise to do so, so bear with me)

... so, according to this study, people are happier when they're older, but they don't know they are, and believe they must have been happier when they were younger? ........... uhh, something seems screwy here. You can be happy without knowing it?

I guess that makes sense. Otherwise, they wouldn't have written that song to go, "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands," because it would be redundant if you automatically know it when you're happy. And "If you're happy, clap your hands" fucks up the whole meter and other music-theory shit.

My personal version of the song would go something like,

If you're happy and you don't know it, act depressed
If you're happy and you don't know it, act depressed
If you're happy and you don't know it, then it's damn sure hard to show it
If you're happy and you don't know it, act depressed

Second verse! Stupider than the first!

If you're happy and you don't know it, mope around
If you're happy and you don't know it, mope around
etc. etc. and so forth

Maybe I shouldn't have had that second pot of coffee. I wonder if a third one will help my blogging any. Stupid blog! Be less pointless!

No comments: